Monday 20 January 2014

Back on the track

Over the weekend I decided to give my Mini a bit of a clean - after the recent poor weather and grime on the road it looked a mess. Once it was gleaming I couldn't resist checking out the rear boot space (limited in a convertible) to see if Sting, my Brompton S6L, could fit inside. I was delighted when I found a way to raise the parcel shelf and back window to accommodate my bike, nicely hidden and out of sight.

Sting - snug as a bug in my Mini

The Mini convertible is a very versatile car as I can also get a road or MTB bike inside as long as the wheels are removed. The roof has to go down to get either bike in but once in position the roof can be raised to secure the bike. I have often turned up a sportives or a triathlon event and someone has asked where my bike is. They are always surprised when I point to my small car and say 'in there'. Like the Brompton - great things come in small packages.

So today I drove to work in my nice clean car with Sting safe and secure in the boot and the possibility that I may have a chance to get out for a cycle at lunchtime. 

Fortunately work wasn't crazy busy so at 12:30pm I changed into some suitable cycling gear (Lycra - sorry) and put on my new Mavic MTB leisure shoes - lovely jubbly!

Then it was down to my car to unfold Sting (I am very lucky to be able to park my car underneath the office in a securely monitored car park). I headed for Preston Park outdoor Cycle Track, which I have mentioned in a previous blog post, only a short 10mins cycle ride away.

There I met a work colleague on his carbon road bike who had come to join me and see my new mount. We maintained a steady pace but were talking throughout and keeping to a relatively easy zone 1-2.

With the short journey to and from the office we ended up doing around 45mins and banked 18km. Around the track we averaged approx. 25km per hour for our speed - not bad considering we were chatting away. 

Next time I will set some formal interval sets to get the best out of the training - all good stuff in preparation for the Brompton World Championships.

Later in the week I aim to try a hill set and may even tackle Ditchling Beacon on Sting, now that will be an interesting challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment