Thursday 9 January 2014

Sting's first outing - the inaugural ride

I am a bit busy today but couldn't resist taking Sting, my shiny new Brompton, out for its inaugural ride.

At lunchtime I managed to sneak out of the office for half an hour, unfold Sting, and head out to Preston Park's outdoor bike track in Brighton.

Preston Park's outdoor cycle track in Brighton - a hidden gem

This is a hidden gem and as you can see from the picture it has little use (time taken approx. midday). The track is around 600m long and has slightly banked sides (not that high and nothing like Calshott - see my blog: http://trihardtraining.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/track-cycling-at-calshott.html). You don't have to book it and it is free - just open the gate and you are in!

I was able to get in a few laps before I had to return to the office. Mostly easy riding, getting used to the feel and gearing (I am pleasantly suprised by the range of gears on my six-speed version), I did however crank it up for a couple of laps when I got the speed up to a respectable 35km per hour. My only small niggle was that my shoes on occasion (happened a few times) caught the Easy Wheels at the back. Probably because I was not pedalling in a perfect circular motion (pointing the backs of my shoes slightly inwards) - some fine-tuning with the positioning of the cleats and tension should sort that.

It was all great fun though and I was almost disappointed when I had to return to the office and re-fold Sting after such a short adventure. Oh well, I am sure we are going to have many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment